Talkatone lets you call and text any US or Canadian phone over WiFi or Data (3G/4G), without requiring cell minutes. Using WiFi/Data instead of cell networks is cool for a number of reasons:
- You can add phone functionality (calling and texting) to your iPad, iPod or Android tablet.
- You can still call/text in areas with bad cell reception. For example, some of our users have bad cell reception in their homes and use Talkatone over their home wireless network to make/receive calls from home and stop paying for a landline.
- Americans and Canadians traveling abroad can call/text home without paying for expensive international cell minutes and text messaging plans. You’ll also have a US number that your friends can call for free while you’re traveling.
- You can buy a cell plan with fewer cell minutes and stop paying for text messages. Some Talkatone users buy data only plans and don’t pay for any cell minutes.
- You can call international numbers at Google Voice’s low rates from your mobile phone. Check out Google’s international calling rates here.
Finally, you can import your Facebook, Google Chat and device Address Book contacts into one, unified address book and message any of your friends via Google Chat, Facebook or SMS from one interface.
Note this answer only applies to residents of the US. If you live in Canada check out this answer. If you live in Europe, check out this answer. Everyone else, check out this answer.